Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Indulge Me

Okay, so I was doing something I really shouldn't have been doing. Going over something that is past. Why? To find a certain picture, but the words around the picture are some of the most important lies that I've ever heard. "Important Lies" I think that could be a title of a pretty awesome book.

Important lies, how can lies be important?


Webster defines lies as "to speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly, as with intent to deceive.

.

to express what is false; convey a false impression.


So I'm saying something false is important? How can that be? In life falsities are to be important, only as if you check false on a test too many times and fail a test. Should a falsity be important. But how often is a false statement more important than a ton of great work?

Bill Clinton slept with Monica Lewinsky, but was that the important factor? No, it was that he lied under oath. Should that have been more important than the fact that he reformed welfare? Should that have been more important that he often crossed party lines to do what was best for the nation? In my estimation, no.

I know that is an ancient example, but you see it every day.

Here's a more recent lie, one that was far more serious in my opinion. Bush lied to the American public about WMD and got us into a war that has killed 4190 US citizens. That does not count the many Iraq citizens that have died.

So lies kill people? Yes, lies kill people. Daily. They break up more marriages than probably any other sin committed. They wreck lives.

How many truths can you say have done the same?

But do all lies have to be bad? No. Sometimes they are right and good. What we adults like to call "tact." But a false tongue is usually a hurtful tongue. So next time you are about to tell a lie, stop and think. Is this going to make the situation worse? Or better?

1 Comment:

  1. Michelle D. Argyle said...
    Thank you for your thoughts, Marie.

    "White Lies." Those are the lies that I have to stop and think about.

    I don't tell blatant lies. Ever. At least I TRY not to!!! Sometimes I'll slip, but I always rectify the situation.

    But the white lies are what's hard for me. Lies that are told to protect you or someone else from further harm. I guess it depends on the harm that could be inflicted if you told the truth...

    The, "honey do I look fat?" question I ask my husband all the time....yeah, he knows how to lie really well for that one. But it's okay. Because I know that if he told me the truth, our entire day would be shot, I wouldn't speak to him for three weeks, and he'd end up telling me that he'd "lied" anyway, and "No, you don't look fat. You're beautiful!"

Post a Comment



 

Home Life | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates